Amazon affiliate links in this post.
Broccoli salad is high on the lists of requests from all of my kids. My oldest son even makes it upon request and I’d have to admit his recipe is just a bit (a tiny bit) better than my original recipe. He uses some heavily smoked local bacon that really puts the taste up a notch or two. He also doesn’t care to make the light side version, but for the sake of our waistlines, I do.
I have had tasted several versions of broccoli salad and it’s definitely made me quite the food critic. I have an aversion for fruit and nuts in my salads. I don’t like the sweet taste of fruit in my food. Fruit deserves it’s own special place on the side of my plate, all by its lonesome. The fruit get’s eaten raw and in whole form, perfect for my taste buds. So if I see any kind of salad that includes vegetables, fruit and/or dressing, I will turn up my nose and walk away. I know they probably taste great but I just can’t bring myself to taste them.
My recipe calls for broccoli, bacon, cheese, Greek yogurt, milk, mayo, vinegar and sugar. Sorry no fruit or nuts allowed! I also use a sugar substitute like Truvia on occasion, to really knock down the calorie count.
Broccoli salad always makes a great side dish or can even be served as a main meal. It’s a colorful salad full of vitamins, anti-oxidants and protein.
- 3 cups (approx 2 heads) broccoli cleaned & chopped (I like my pieces on the bigger side)
- ½ lb bacon fried crisp and cut into pieces
- 4 - 6 oz shredded cheese
- 1 small red onion diced
- ¾ cup plain no fat greek yogurt
- 2 TBSP Skim Milk
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- 3 packets Truvia (or ¼ cup sugar)
- 4 tsp light mayo
- Place broccoli, onion, bacon and cheese in large bowl.
- In a seperate container (jar with a lid works great) place yogurt, milk, mayo and sugar. Mix well. Add in vinegar and shake until well blended.
- Pour dressing mixture over the broccoli mixture and coat well.
- Store in refrigerator for at least 2 hours before serving.
- Stir and enjoy!
Be sure to serve the salad very cold for best taste. What’s your favorite broccoli recipe?